This project is about installing a completely new infrastructure in the area. Once created it will last a very long time. The project is all about community contribution.
This type of network is built by local volunteers and landowners who know their community and the lie of the land. It is a wonderfully empowering and socially engaging opportunity. There is nothing like building something for yourself, having that sense of pride and ownership.
The Essentials - for laying the ducting and cable!Building the network at a community level is quite straight forward and with guidance and support, anyone can do it. It is not all about digging holes and trenches, volunteers are needed for:
- Informing the community and encouraging investment;
- Walking routes and agreeing wayleaves with landowners;
- Co-ordinating site work between volunteers and landowners;
- Fieldwork of laying duct and installing chambers;
- Splicing fibre cable to connect to homes and businesses;
- Advising property owners and helping to install their house fittings
- Baking for volunteers – our army will march on tea and cake!
- Passing on newly learned skills to others
The best way to find out more about being a volunteer is to Register Your Interest and look out for presentations at future planned information and training days.